This post serves as the tutorial on how to contribute to this site. We use Markdown, an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format, to convert your content to HTML. Here is a quick reference of markdown syntax.
Steps for how to contribute to this site
1. Fork it on Github to your own repo and Clone or download source code of this website.
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:YOUR_GITHUB_ID/ZeaBigData.github.io.git
2. Create your own branch.
git checkout -b my-new-feature
3. Create or edit files under folder
Note, to add a new post, follow our naming convention
year-month-day-some-words-as-title.md, i.e. “2015-10-2-RNA-seq”.
You can copy the
2015-01-01-post-template.md in the
_posts folder, or copy from here.
At the very beginning of a post, we have YAML front matter. Those are build-in variables.
--- layout: post title: "How to contribute" date: 2016-10-10 author: Jinliang Yang editor: X reviewer: Y categories: [tutorial, general] tags: [github, general] comments: true archive: false ---
- layout: The layout to use, i.e.
- title/date: The title of the post, created at what time.
- author/editor/reviewer: Names of contributors of this post.
- category/categories/tag/tags: Define the categories and tags as YAML lists or a space-separated string. For each category and tag, we will generate a list in
- comments: Set to true to allow for comments
- archive: Set to true to being rendered as a achieved post only (not show in the
The first paragraph in a post will serve as an abstract or short summary. It will appear in the list of
Posts page by clicking
4. Commit your changes
git add --all git commit -m 'Add some feature by XYZ'
5. Push to the branch
git push origin my-new-feature
6. Create a new Pull Request